Company/Institution: Honda Research Institute, USA
Location: Mountain View, California
Department: Computer Science
Description: Machine Learning Research Engineer at Honda Research Institute (Silicon Valley)
Job Number: P15T01
Honda Research Institute (HRI) is searching for a research engineer to join our team of scientists and engineers in Mountain View California to help transform mobility. We are seeking candidates with creativity and technical skills to support our autonomous vehicle systems and advanced driver assist projects. As a research engineer, you will be uniquely positioned to solve some of the most challenging problems in automated driving that require expertise in the field of robotics, machine learning, computer vision, or AI. We provide a flexible approach to solving problems and opportunity for each associate to learn, grow, and find interesting ways to innovate and push the envelope.
This position offers opportunity to:
• Work with a talented group of scientists and engineers to develop cutting edge solutions to complex and real world problems in automated driving.
• Work with Big Data, deep learning, and multi-sensor fusion technologies to advance the state of the art.
• Enjoy access to large scale annotated vehicle sensor data, and run machine learning experiments.
• Have opportunity to file patents and publish research results in high quality journals and conferences.
This position requires a technically adept, self directed, and motivated individual who can work with engineers and scientists at HRI and global Honda with responsibilities that include:
• Creation and implementation of computer vision and machine learning algorithms on vehicle sensor recordings to automatically annotate important events and features using image/LIDAR segmentation, object detection, and machine learning techniques.
• Development of algorithms to identify and analyze patterns in the data from various sensors (e.g., images, radar, LIDAR, GPS, CAN Bus messages).
• Participation in sensor calibration, data collection, data management, and data evaluation.
• Participation in software and hardware specification, recommendation, and execution of large scale data applications.
• Integration and evaluation of third party or open-source software (or technology) to facilitate development, create new value, or use as benchmark.
• Masters or PhD degree in computer science, electrical engineering, or related field.
• Hands-on experience with supervised and unsupervised machine learning algorithms.
• Proven practical deep learning experience including use of standard DL/ML software tools.
• Strong familiarity with machine learning systems and processes, including data collection, algorithm development, training, and evaluation.
• Ability to develop and implement complex algorithms efficiently.
• Strong programming skills in one or more of the following: C/C++, Python, Java.
• Familiarity with details of implementing algorithms on multi-core CPUs, clusters, GPUs.
• Strong written and oral communication skills including development and delivery of presentations, proposals, and technical documents.
• Familiarity with 3D Point Cloud data, PCL, or LIDAR processing .
• Experience with computer vision and scene understanding algorithms.
• Familiarity with Robot Operating System (ROS).
• Experience with SLAM, multi-sensor fusion, camera calibration.
• Experience building data processing pipelines and supporting Big Data applications.
• Experience in statistical analysis, quantitative analytics, forecasting/predictive analytics, multivariate testing, and optimization algorithms.
• Limited 3-year contract position with the possibility of further extensions or transition to a long term position at the company's discretion.
Application Instructions: To apply for the position, please send a cover letter and your CV to
with the subject line clearly indicating the job number you are applying for.
You can apply for multiple positions, but each area needs a separate application.
Failure to follow these instructions may result in a delay in the processing of your application.
The candidates must have the legal right to work in the U.S.A.
Please note that we receive a large number of applications and cannot communicate with everyone. If a researcher has found a good match between the planned research and your background, you will be contacted directly.