United Technologies Research Center (UTRC) delivers advanced technologies to the businesses of United Technologies Corporation (UTC).
UTC is a diversified company that provides a broad range of high-technology products and services to the global aerospace and building systems industries.
Its commercial business (UTC Building & Industrial Systems) comprises Otis elevators and escalators as well as UTC Climate, Controls & Security, a leading provider of heating, ventilation,
air conditioning, fire and security systems, and building automation and controls. The company's aerospace businesses include Pratt & Whitney aircraft engines and UTC Aerospace Systems aerospace products.
UTRC engages with UTC business units and external research organizations globally to pursue research and develop innovative technologies that meet/anticipate marketplace needs.
Founded in 1929, UTRC is headquartered in East Hartford, Connecticut (U.S.), with an office in Berkeley, California, and research and development centers in Shanghai, China and Cork, Ireland.
United Technologies Research Centre Ireland, Ltd. (UTRCI), established in 2009, conducts research into the next generation of energy and security systems for high-performance buildings, generating
world-class technologies for UTC's commercial businesses worldwide. Recently, UTRC Ireland added aerospace systems research to its portfolio to support UTC's large industrial presence in Europe.
UTRCI invites qualified individuals to apply for the following position in its Cork office. A competitive compensation and benefits package will be provided to the successful candidates.
Learn more @ www.utrc.utc.com
Job responsibilities UTRCI has an opening for a Senior Research Scientist in the area of Computer Vision and Video Analytics. Successful candidates should demonstrate outstanding track records in 3 or
more of the following fields: object detection and tracking, object recognition, scene recognition, human action / activity / event recognition, content-based indexing and a strong knowledge of machine
In addition to the technical contribution, the candidate is expected to interact with United Technologies Corporation (UTC) business units to provide technical expertise in existing
programs, contribute towards business development through Irish and European grant acquisition, and contribute to the definition of technical strategy.
The candidate must be able to work effectively in a multidisciplinary, multinational team environment focused on innovation and must be able to partner with academic institutions government agencies,
and national labs) to further UTRC capabilities in computer vision. Additionally, the successful candidate will be expected to:
- Develop and execute technology research plans to successfully achieve desired technical outcomes within time and budget constraints.
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills and provide timely, accurate reports and presentations to senior management and functional teams.
- Contribute concepts to technology roadmaps in areas related to computer vision and visual surveillance, helping expand the portfolio of technology maturation projects.
- Contribute to the development of integrated solutions for UTC business units, focusing on creative solutions in computer vision and video surveillance problems.
- Contribute to business development through Irish and European grant acquisition and contribute to the setting of strategic technical agenda
- Author technical papers, and engage in relevant technical communities.
- Preferred: Ph.D. degree in Computer Science, Electrical or Computer Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, or a related field, plus 2+ years of industrial or academic experience after completion of the Ph.D. in disciplines as outlined above.
- Also accepted: M.S. degree in Computer Science, Electrical or Computer Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, or a related field with 5+ years of industrial or academic experience (post M.S.).
- Expert knowledge and a minimum of 3 years (5 years for M.S) of industrial or academic experience in at least three of the following computer vision/pattern recognition fields:
object classification, detection and tracking; object recognition; activity and event recognition; content-based indexing and retrieval.
- Demonstrated ability to work within multi-disciplinary teams to successfully achieve desired technical outcomes within time and budget constraints.
- Demonstrated ability to write proposals and win external funding/contracts/grants.
- Record of technical contributions, including patents and publications in refereed technical journals and major conferences in computer vision.
- Proven success in innovative strategic and technical thinking, willingness to champion and investigate new technical ideas, and their application to real-world problems.
- Excellent communication skills, innovative strategic and technical thinker, high energy and team player.
- Willingness to go beyond the original field of expertise. - Software skills: C/C++, MATLAB, OpenCV and Python.
- Familiarity with video-based forensic analysis, including machine-based reasoning and chain of evidence management.
- Experience in Embedded Computer Vision.
- Experience with CUDA, OpenCL, OpenMP, DirectX and OpenGL.
- Experience with Deep Learning techniques and tools and their application in Computer Vision.
- Expertise in pattern recognition and machine learning techniques: unsupervised, and supervised learning, stochastic optimization dimensionality reduction, feature selection, etc.
- Familiarity with data fusion of different modalities.
- Signal processing.
Additional Comments This position is based at UTRC's European hub in Cork, Ireland. To be eligible to apply, candidates must be legally entitled to work and reside in Ireland.